MM Performance Audition Requirements
For more information, or if no information is listed, please contact the individual teacher.
- Aria from opera or oratorio
- German Lied
- French mélodie
- 20th-21st Century English art song
- Baroque piece in Italian or English
Please note that all four major languages (English, Italian, German and French) must be represented. Therefore, if the aria is in a language other than Italian, the Baroque selection must be Italian rather than English.
- Mozart: First movement from either the G or D Major Concerto
- Bach: Two movements from a sonata of your choice
- A 20th century work for solo flute or flute and piano
- Three standard orchestral excerpts
- Mozart C Major Concerto (first movement with cadenza)
- Poulenc Sonata (all three movements)
- One solo work of the applicant's choice.
- Orchestral excerpts:
- Beethoven--Symphony No. 3, Mvt. 2
- Brahms--Violin Concerto, Mvt. 2
- Rossini--La Scala, slow and fast solos
- First movement of either of the Brahms Op. 120 Sonatas
- One movement of the Poulenc Sonata
- One unaccompanied work of the applicant's choice
- Three standard orchestral excerpts
- Concertino da Camera by Jacques Ibert
- A baroque transcription such as J.S. Bach BWV 1035 (Sonata No. 6, trans. Mule)
- A sonata such as the Muczynski Sonata or the Fuzzy Bird Sonata by Yoshimatsu
- An unaccompanied work such as Caprice in Forme de Valse by Bonneau or Maï by Noda OR any medium-up tempo blues such as Tenor Madness or Now's the Time (performance of the blues tune must be entirely from memory)
- Mozart Concerto, any two movements
An additional solo work of your choice
Orchestra excerpts: Tchaikovsky IV, second movement; Mozart, Marriage of Figaro overture
The audition for the Master's Degree in Performance and the Graduate Assistantship requires approximately 20 to 25 minutes of playing, to include solo literature of the student's choice, plus 3-5 standard orchestral excerpts. Piano accompaniment is encouraged, but not required, and will not be provided.
Trumpet players should perform on different keyed trumpets in the audition.
Tuba players should expect to showcase a balance between bass-tuba and contrabass-tuba solos and excerpts.
- One concert snare drum solo: Delécluse: Douze Etudes (any)
- One advanced four-mallet marimba work
- One solo timpani work: Elliott Carter, Delécluse etude or concerto
- Two contrasting movements from an unaccompanied Bach sonata or partita, or the entire Chaconne
- Two Paganini caprices, or any Ysaye sonata for solo violin
- A complete sonata for violin and piano from the 19th or 20th century
- A complete concerto from the Romantic period or 20th century*
* Works 1, 2, and 4 must be memorized.
A varied selection, approximately 30 minutes in length,
representing three contrasting styles of music. Single movements
may be played. A selection from the standard concerto repertoire
and a movement of Bach is highly recommended (from 6 Sonatas &
Partitas for Violin/Viola solo or from 6 Suites for solo
A varied selection, approximately 30 minutes in length, representing three contrasting styles of music. Single movements may be played. Suggested Repertoire: Any Bach or Reger Suite, several movements; any movement of a concerto, such as: Haydn, D major; Schumann; Dvorak; Barber; Bloch, Schelomo; Tchaikovsky, Rococo Variations; or equivalent. Virtuoso pieces such as: Dvorak, Rondo op. 94; Bruch, kol Nidre; Hindemith, Capriccio, etc.
- An advanced etude, such as Bille, Simandl, Rossi, Storch, etc.
- A movement from Bach's unaccompanied cello suite
- Two contrasting movements from a major concerto, such as Dragonetti, Bottesini, Koussevitzky, etc.
- Any 3 movements of a Suite, Sonata, or Partita of J.S. Bach (Prelude, Fugue and Allegro, BWV 998 is also acceptable)
- Any significant 19th century work (e.g. Giuliani, Sor, Coste, Aguado, Regondi, etc.)
- A 20th century work of Turina, Torroba, Ponce, Tedesco, Rodrigo, Brouwer, or comparable
- One contrasting work of the applicant's choice
One movement of a concerto from the following list:
- Debussy Dances Sacree and Profane
- Ravel Introduction and Allegro
- Mozart Flute and Harp Concerto
- Handel Concerto in B Flat
- Dittersdorf Concerto for Harp
One Tchaikovsky orchestral cadenza from the following list:
- Swan Lake
- Sleeping Beauty
- Any Prelude and Fugue from WTC, or a Toccata, Partita, or English Suite
- A French Suite or the Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue
- A complete Classical Sonata by Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, or Schubert
- A significant composition from the Romantic era
- A composition from the 20th century
The program must be performed from memory. A short interview will be conducted in which the applicant should demonstrate a knowledge of music history and the history of piano performance.
- One of the following works by J. S. Bach:
- Any of the complete Trio Sonatas
- One of the large Preludes/Toccatas/Fantasias and Fugues* or the
- Passacaglia in C minor*
- A major work from the Romantic or Impressionist tradition
- A major work written since 2000
Optional addition: an improvisation on a theme given at the time of the audition (The theme will be given 30 minutes before the audition is scheduled to begin, so that the candidate can complete a study of the material at a piano.)
*This repertoire must be approved by the University Organist in advance of the audition